Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Welcome, Madeleine!

Madeleine Joy
Born May 27, 2011
8 lbs. 14 oz.
21 3/4 inches


I ADORE this picture.
The doctor made a goal to get me to 34 weeks, and then every week that I made it to another checkup without having to induce was cause to rejoice. At 39 weeks, the doctor induced me (so as to not risk having to induce under less than favorable circumstances).

I went in to the hospital at 7 a.m. and the doctor's comment was: "Wow! You've been having contractions!" I was already 75% effaced and dilated to 4 cm. At about 7:30 a.m. they started the drugs, and by 1:30 p.m. I was ready to push. We had to wait for Greg, though, because he had gone to grab some lunch at the cafeteria. (For the record, the nurse thought he would have plenty of time for that. Fooled her!)

After about 2 hours of pushing, the doctor determined that Madeleine was not going to make it out without some help and determined that using the vacuum was the best choice. If that didn't work, the alternative was an emergency C-section. My comment to her was: "You suck that baby out. You suck it out right now!"

After some more pushing (and believe me, I was pushing) and some hard work from the doctor (Greg said she was really working at it), Madeleine Joy was born at 4:17 p.m. Turns out, Leiney had her head cocked at an angle, and that's why she needed some help to make it out. She had Torticollis (a kink in her neck) that caused us some trouble at first, but she's been going to a physical therapist and she is doing just great now!

1 comment:

Cathrine said...

Wow Karina, She is beautiful! Congrats to you and Greg! I hope things are going well. Can't wait to see updated pictures!